See these chickies in their nice new pen?
Well, not too many days ago they were living warm and cozy here:
UNTIL, I was putting Elijah to bed one night and I thought I smelled something burning, wood maybe? So I jumped up, ran, following my nose, into the living room to find the wood chips in the chicks home only seconds away from bursting into flames!!!!!! Apparently the chicks had gotten a little too wild and caused their warming light to fall into the pen!!!!!!! I quickly unplugged the light, then yanked it out on the pen. Burning embers dropped all over the floor so hastily smothered them out with my bare feet- not the smartest idea, mind you, but thats all I had to work with! I had been wondering only the day before when the chicks would not need the warming lamp anymore- well, that answered that question!!!
So, now the chickies are living outside in their movable pen Jake so kindly created for us! Well, we actually decided to bring them inside at night (with no warming lamp) until we can completely close off an area at night because Anna read that weasels and such creatures can slink through the one inch holes in chicken wire and raccoons have been known to reach in one of the whole, grab even a larger chicken, and pull it out, bite by bite!!!!! Hows that for torture?!
Poor things have already been through too much as it is with 3 of their sibblings getting decapitated and then gobbled up by a mother kitty, then nearly getting burned alive! I feel bad for them!!!
Here they are right now, all snuggled up in their safe sleeping qaurters:
Here are some random photos I took today (oh yeah, my camera is working again, obviously! All it took was Jake switching and switching back batteries, and then a nice soak in the sink- not sure who to thank for that one: Anna or Jake? Ah! It works now so that doesn't matter!).
Our garden:
"Sammy's HEAD, mama!"
Eli thought Sammy might want to be laid on. . .
Sammy trying to figure out how to get on his knees to crawl:
Goofy Eli after his bath!

No comments:
Post a Comment